T2.8 in 2018 regs

edited October 15 in General
New regs state;

T2.8. Batteries must have quick release connections to enable rapid
disconnection in the event of an emergency. They must not be liable
to disconnect or short against metal parts. Quick release connectors
must be accessible and operable without the need for tools.

How do others read this? There was some discussion of this during the forum at the finals, I got the impression that the requirement will be that batteries be able to be disconnected by marshalls from the cars circuits physically not just via the isolator?

If so, I guess a lot of current cars and future designs will need easily removable panels to allow access?

I feel that more clarification may be required here!

Wayne..

Comments

• I read this as long as the marshal can get to the batteries without tools and the connectors can be undone without tools then that should be fine. We use Anderson connectors that have proven to be both reliable and fool proof - https://www.andersonpower.com/_global-assets/downloads/pdf/ds-sb50.pdf
  • I think it stems from occasions when fires have occurred and that the marshalls need to be assured that all power can be, and has been, physically disconnected as close to the batteries as possible. Its something that should be assessed during scrutineering.
  • edited October 16
    I spoke to Greenpower today for clarification on this issue, and it is as I thought. Battery connections should be available from outside the car through an opening in the body that may be covered but easily accessible without tools. I guess this will affect a fair number of cars which have batteries buried to various degrees within the bodywork.

For us and our proposed new car it will mean some changes to the bodywork.
  • edited October 20
    So just to make sure:
    Does this mean that the batteries must be accessible WITHOUT removing any bodywork (which would necessitate 'doors' in the body as batteries must be enclosed within the body)
    OR
    Does it mean that the batteries must be accessible and able to be removed without the need of any tools? This would seem more sensible but would like to clarify.
    Like many, if the former of these is the case then we'll need to alter our design a fair bit.
  • The former is how I interpet the rules.
  • I shall try to provide some clarification, the intention of this rule is to allow for an electrical disconnection of the batteries by the side of the track without tools. If battery connections can be accessed without removing bodywork then fine. But if bodywork needs to be removed to access them then this must be possible without tools. An example of this would be some bodywork that is taped down, a marshal would easily be able to rip that bodywork off by hand.
  • Thanks for the clarification Josh.
    That makes a lot more sense to me now and I should hope it does to others too.
    Thanks!