Posting Pictures

edited May 2012 in General
Since moving to the new forum it is clear that there is no way to use forum BB code to post pictures or control how your posts look.

However after a bit of experimenting I was able to find a way to post pictures. You will still need the pictures hosted online, I've used www.photobucket.com for a while and it serves the purpose well. I'm sure that this technique could be used with any sort of picture hosting, because as far as I'm aware you just need a URL for the picture you want to display and the HTML code required to make it show on a web page.

Using Photobucket it is easy, once you have uploaded the photo and viewed it in your album you will notice that there are four code options presented. Email & IM, Direct Link, HTML code and IMG code.

Photobucket

Just select and copy the HTML code then paste it into the forum.

It will look something like this:

Photobucket

Once you make your post your picture will display like this:

Photobucket

As you can see the forum software automatically sizes the pic for easy viewing, while giving the option to view full size with a click - I really like that.

I don't know enough about using HTML to try, but it might be possible to just enter the code to display the picture as you would to code a webpage, using a known picture URL from your own hosting. I'll leave that up to you to play with.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Having had a play it appears that you can display pictures with regular HTML image tags.

Giving you...

Which means it's just as easy to post pics hosted in places that aren't Photobucket, and probably means those who are a whiz with HTML can do all sorts of exciting things with their posts.

• Has everyone noticed that photobucket have changed their terms of use and all the photos hosted by photobucket we have included on the forum posts have been removed.

Photobucket would like each user to provide them with $400 per year to host photos so I think that is the end of that.

Does anybody have any other ideas on how to add photos to the forum?
  • I will change that to "not all" as I have just noticed the sprocket above is still provided by photobucket but its days may be numbered as clearly they are working through their user database.